Nigeria’s Buhari under pressure after violence kills more than 200
Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari faced calls
Wednesday to improve security or resign, after more than 200 people were killed
in the latest bloodletting between herders and farming communities.
Buhari came to power in 2015 on a promise to curb
insecurity across the country, in particular by Boko Haram, whose Islamist
insurgency has killed at least 20,000 since 2009.
But a
resurgence of violence in the long-running conflict between cattle herders and
farmers has become a key issue as he seeks re-election in February next year.
Analysts
predict the extent of the unrest could eclipse that of the jihadists in the
northeast.
The
violence in Plateau state on Saturday was an apparent reprisal after ethnic
Berom farmers allegedly killed five Fulani herders last Thursday.
Governor
Simon Lalong said in the state capital, Jos, late on Tuesday that the clashes
had caused “the painful loss of over 200 people”.
The
police, blaming suspected herders, have said 86 people were killed. However,
multiple local sources from the communities affected maintained that more than
100 people died.
The main
association representing the largely nomadic herders has denied its community
had any involvement in the killings and said its members had been repeatedly
targeted for months.
The
clashes are rooted in tensions over access to land between the pastoral herders
and sedentary farmers but have also generated sectarian friction between
Muslims and Christians.
Lalong
suggested “criminal elements” were exacerbating hostilities, including
“conflict merchants” involved in “cattle rustling, theft, banditry, gun
running” and other crimes.
Both he
and Buhari have also warned about politicising the conflict or giving it a
religious dimension.
–
‘Terrorist invasion’ –
Lalong
said after talks with Buhari in Jos that the latest attacks were carried out
with “sophisticated weapons” that were “reflective of a terrorist invasion”.
“It (the
bloodshed) therefore demands a justified response like that which was
undertaken to address the Boko Haram insurgency,” he added.
Lawmakers
earlier this month issued a thinly veiled threat of impeachment to Buhari,
accusing his security chiefs of repeatedly failing to protect lives and
property.
The
75-year-old leader said on Tuesday he would “continue to pressurise members of
the law enforcement agencies directly under me by the constitution as the
commander-in-chief”.
He also
said it was an “injustice” to imply he was doing nothing because he was also
Fulani and Muslim.
Police and
army reinforcements have been sent to Plateau to improve security, while a
dusk-to-dawn curfew remained in place in areas of the state to restore calm.
Several
hundred protesters meanwhile marched to the governor’s office in Jos on Tuesday,
demanding an end to the violence and action against the perpetrators.
In Abuja,
Nigeria’s two parliamentary speakers, Bukola Saraki of the Senate and Yakubu
Dogara of the lower House of Representatives, warned of the consequences of
doing nothing.
“If you go
to the northeast, you can see the level of devastation caused by Boko Haram,”
he said after a joint meeting with Buhari.
“And we
don’t want a replication of this all over the country.”
– Resign
call –
Plateau
has been the scene of similar deadly violence in the past but in the last three
years has been relatively calm, as clashes have spread elsewhere.
Fulani
herders have been blamed for killing some 1,000 people since the start of this
year, the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project said earlier this
month.
The
International Crisis Group said more than 2,500 were killed in the conflict in
2016; 1,079 deaths were attributed to Boko Haram in the same year, according to
the Global Terrorism Index.
Human
Rights Watch said in a December 2013 report that more than 10,000 people had
been killed in Plateau and neighbouring Kaduna state since 1992.
It said at
the time that a failure to tackle the root causes of the conflict and prosecute
those responsible was prolonging the cycle of violence.
With no
apparent end in sight to the bloodshed, the financial daily Business Day
claimed Buhari “has failed and continues to fail in his responsibility to
protect Nigerians”.
It added
that security chiefs were not held accountable for failing to prevent the attacks
and that Buhari appeared to have shown “high-level disinterest” in revamping
the system.
“If the
president cannot handle the responsibility of protecting Nigerians he should do
the honourable thing and resign from his position,” it said.
“In a
situation like this he should not even be seen talking about a second term.”



No comments